Search This Blog

Monday 16 November 2009

Mum is poorly, but on the mend

Last night wasn't too bad. Tom took the dummy everytime he was offered it which was good. He woke at 9pm, 9.30pm (both of which Matt sorted out as I was already in bed), then 12.00, 2.00, 2.20 and 2.40. At 2.20 he finally took my breast and at 2.40 he took the other one. He then didn't wake up until almost 8am. Unfortunately I was fully awake at 3.00, it took me a good hour to get back to sleep. I think Tom may have woken up around 7, I think I could hear cooing, but he obviously wasn't unhappy as it didn't reach fever pitch and he fell silent. When I say I think I could hear cooing, I am now so tuned into him, that sometimes I hear him even when he isn't making any noise - he has certainly got into my head.

I didn't have a great night, when Matt came up to join me in bed I woke up in a massive massive sweat. All my clothes, the bed sheets, the pillows were absolutely soaking, which meant that I then had to sleep in a cold wet bed - well that was until Matt left about 2.30, when I rolled over to his nice warm and dry side.

I was still feeling rubbish this morning - my throat is really really sore. I shined a torch down my throat and saw white spots at the back, I also did an internet search and came to the conclusion that it is tonsillitis. Phoned the drs, their first reaction was swine flu - call the helpline, that was before I could even get all the symptoms out, mind you they also thought I was pregnant - doesn't fill me with confidence! When I finally managed to explain all the symptoms the dr said that it was tonsillitis and she'll write me a prescription - what ever happened to actually seeing a dr? I realised as soon as I put the phone down that I forgot to say that I'm breastfeeding so had to call back and had to wait 3 hours for the call back. Apparently the antibiotics are fine.

I called Amanda for advice (she is a nurse and Tim, her husband is a GP). She was very helpful, the dr scared me as she said that tonsillitis is very contagious. Amanda explained that it is only contagious via saliva, so as long as I don't give Tom a big wet kiss he should be ok. Matt doesn't have any tonsils so he'll be ok as well. It also means I can be out and about with babies without fear of infecting them, I just need to be well enough.

Tom had a bit of a grizzly morning. He didn't eat much for breakfast - my fault I think - too many phone calls going on as I had to cancel gymbabes as well. He went for his morning nap and was unhappy when he woke up. I managed to get him on my breast for a snack, but after a minute he bit me, so I took him off, that meant almighty screams. Gave him his lunch, he ate a mountain of food - he was hungry, that was the problem! He ate the best part of two sachets of Ella's food (making or even preparing food right now is just too much for me to bear), a crust of bread, a chunk of cheese and a rice cake. He cheered up after that and played nicely until 1.30 when he got tired and went for his nap.

Once he woke up, I went down to the drs to pick up the prescription and then to asda to get the antibiotics and matt some food (I can't manage much at the moment, and what I do eat has to be ultra smooth and soft).

Oh, another rant, on getting my prescription I said that I understood that i didn't need to pay for it as all prescriptions to mums are free of charge for the first year. The assistant told me I needed a maternity excemption form, I looked at her blank. She told me that I should have received the paperwork at my first appointment when I was pregnant. Anyway she was very helpful, I had to pay, but she also provided me with a refund form for when I get the form. I called the surgery and asked about it to be told, "oh, we only give out that form if you ask for it" - why?! I know why, to save money in the hope that most women won't know or find out about exemption - huff!

Tom had a happy evening, ate a good dinner, played nicely, had a playful bath with his dad and then drank up well. We will see what tonight brings...

No comments: