Search This Blog

Monday 18 January 2010

Tom and Dad race

Another good night. Tom screamed for about 30 seconds at 8.30pm and that was it. Went in to get him at 7am - he was sat up in his cot, happily waiting for me. He had a good breakfast and play and then back to bed for his nap. We then had book time followed by play time.

We have both been having trouble reading to Tom. I used to read to him when he was a tiny baby without too much trouble, but when he turned 4 weeks (ish) he started to cry when I read to him, the same was for Matt and we both lost our confidence. I have tried again from time to time, but mainly got a negative response - crying, screaming, wriggling to get away, attempts to grab book and tear pages, attempts to eat the books etc etc. I have today made a new resolution to try to read to him at least once a day regardless of reaction to see if I can get him used to it. I'm not doing at bedtime as we want him to be content and sleepy when he goes to bed, so am going to do it after his afternoon nap instead. Maybe if he gets used to it and learns to enjoy it, he will relax and we can move it to bed time.

Midday saw us in the car to Bridgnorth as I was meeting the two Rachels for lunch at Cinnamon for lunch prior to Gymbabes. The cafe was much busier today and we almost didn't make it to Gymbabes in time. Rachel had to eat a burning hot lasagna in record time (thankfully I had ordered a sandwich). Managed to get the best seats in the house though - over looking the River Severn, so the wait wasn't too bad.

Had a fantastic Gymbabes session. Tom should have been tired as he hadn't had a nap, but he seemed to get boundless energy from somewhere. He went through the tunnel 4 times, and crawled from one place to another in no particular order, but clearly showed me which were his favourite items of apparatus (the ball pool and the mirror pool). He was in a great mood and enjoyed everything we did - got a bit over zealous with clapping during the singing which was funny. He even crawled once we sat down at the end, I had to keep pulling him back all the time. We even went to Costa afterwards for a drink (I think I get as much a work out as him!) where he stayed in good humour.

He was asleep in a minute or two on the way home. He even went down in his cot for another 30 minutes on our return home. We then had playtime and dinner before bed.

Oh - forgot to mention, I got my first phone call on the BEST line yesterday. A new Dad asking for a breast pump for his wife. I phoned the PRH and arranged for a midwife to take it with her today. Guess what, she forgot! He phoned back today to let me know. The hospital have now run out of pumps so I can't help. Feel very frustrated that I can't help my first caller.

And, if you are wondering, the race was called off when a certain little boy decided he wanted to sit rather than crawl!


No comments: